We started a new tradition this year. I made an Advent wreath and included a reading to go along with the lighting of the candle(s). Since I grew up doing this in church, I wanted to share it with our kids. It was something special that I always looked forward to each Christmas season and it helps us focus on the reason for the season. I used this Advent reading schedule. Since it uses the Jesus Storybook Bible, I gave it to Aubrey and Kate as an early Christmas gift so we could read from it each day.
He enjoyed lighting the candle(s) each night and blowing them out. We talked about each one and what it represented. Along with the candles and readings, there was an ornament to go with the daily readings. This is part of the Jesse tree activity. During the day, we would use this activity as another time to discuss the story we read the night before. I bought a little tree for the ornaments to hang on (along with our collection of Christmas cards!). I may have enjoyed this activity more than the kids this year but I think each year it will become more interesting and special for the kids, at least I hope so!
Aubrey refused to wear the Christmas sweatshirt his teacher made him…
Of course he inhaled his piece of cake immediately. After cake, the kids made a little craft that included wrapping Jesus in cloths (a peg wrapped in a square of felt tied together with a string) and placing him in a bed of hay (yellow wrapping tissue pieces stuffed in a seed starting paper pot). It was so cute and fun! Aubrey loved retelling the story and wrapping baby Jesus up over and over again throughout the holidays.
His class also had a little Christmas production. There was a 50/50 chance that he would even stay on stage or perform just going off of previous performances. We were so glad he really enjoyed this show and even sang out a few times so we could hear him! It was great!
Aubrey's class celebrated Christmas with several different events. His teacher, Mrs. Blanchard, made a point to tell the story of Christ's birth each day during the month of December. She used the Fisher Price Little People Nativity Set to tell the story each time. One day, they had a birthday party for Jesus. It was so sweet!
Getting ready to sing "Happy Birthday" as the teacher lit a candle on the cake.Aubrey refused to wear the Christmas sweatshirt his teacher made him…
Of course he inhaled his piece of cake immediately. After cake, the kids made a little craft that included wrapping Jesus in cloths (a peg wrapped in a square of felt tied together with a string) and placing him in a bed of hay (yellow wrapping tissue pieces stuffed in a seed starting paper pot). It was so cute and fun! Aubrey loved retelling the story and wrapping baby Jesus up over and over again throughout the holidays.
His class also had a little Christmas production. There was a 50/50 chance that he would even stay on stage or perform just going off of previous performances. We were so glad he really enjoyed this show and even sang out a few times so we could hear him! It was great!
We try…but there is just to much excitement going on to stop for a picture!
We are so thankful for his sweet school and wonderful teachers! They made this Christmas even more fun and special!


No comments:
Post a Comment