Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Twos are Terrific

So, I have to say the twos are not terrible but terrific (for us so far)! Really! PTL!

He has had a lot of changes this past month. We ditched the paci, moved him to a big boy bed and feed him only mostly food that we eat (hamburgers, enchiladas, spaghetti, etc).

The first two have been scary milestones for this mama as I was worried he would need his paci when he slept and he LOVED his crib. Those are two big crutches for him when he sleeps. His sleep has been less than ideal since the switch. He has had a hard time going down for naps without it and waking/jumping up and crying immediately when he wakes from sleeping. We added a blanket in the crib (I am anti- anything in the crib. Just my thing) with him to kind of help (which has been a good transition help to his big boy bed).

One day, Aubrey got mad when I put him down for his nap and before I knew it he was running to see me in the kitchen. When I put him back, he just did it again. The next day, we moved a big boy in his room after the pediatrician recommend we make the switch. He did not want in it at first and would cry when we laid him down the first few nights but each night (and morning) got better. I thought it was funny that he wanted a book (Curious George, of course!) in the bed with him as a security thing. The first night he insisted on this, I snuck in later to move it next to his bed. At 1:30 that night, he woke up crying, got out of his bed in the dark, found the CG book, brought it back to bed with him and went back to sleep! I guess I've got a book worm?!
We still need a comforter and bedskirt but he "picked out" the cute, vintage race car sheets that match the colors of his room!
Aubrey's first night in his big boy bed!
We have been enjoying as much time outdoors before the summer heat got here. With Aubrey's new toys from his birthday, we have had lots to dig, hit and mow! Splashing in the water has been fun on the really hot days! We joined a pool this summer so we've also spent some time practicing our swimming technique. But, what he enjoys most is splashing in the big pool, running to the kiddie pool to see what kids he can play with and then running to the recreational pool to swim in it. It's quite a workout for all of us!

Bucket of dirt!
Loves splashing in the water and getting Shelby wet!
Aubs loves playing with his neighbor and friend, Eva

One day, I watched my sister's older girls, Ella and Julianna, with the help of my cousin and a little boy she was watching. We had a fun day playing with tractors, reading books, watching a movie, and splashing in the pool outside. Aubrey loves having playmates! I was surprised and proud of how well he shared his toys that day too. 

Aubrey has been saying some funny things lately. After his birthday celebration, anytime we say we are going to have cake (which isn't often but we do have our weekly PW panCAKES) Aubrey will say "birthday cake?!" or "yummy birthday cake?!". He is still repeating a lot of what he hears. He now has been calling Seth and me, "MY mommy" and "MY daddy". Aubrey will say "dance" and start moving his arms and upper body. When we ask him if he wants something, he will sometimes reply "no thanks" in a happy way. Sometimes when he is happy or being silly he will talk in a higher pitch or go high pitch. His eyes will get wide and he makes a really cute face when he does it too. 
Aubrey has been more cuddly the last month too. I think it may have something to do with the transition to the new bed. He LOVES to read books and will sit and read several at a time if allowed. He has even started to look at books by himself. He loves to cuddle while we read books. His attention span has grown while he plays or is working on a task. This has made library visits more fun for mommy! 
Aubrey enjoying a doughnut on his breakfast date with daddy 
We are starting a new summer tradition with dinner at the pool on Saturday evenings
Aubrey learning lots of interesting things at golf course
We recently started sponsoring a child with Compassion. I had always wanted to sponsor a child but just never have so when our church had some information packets out recently, I snatched one up. I found a little boy who was close to Aubrey's age so Aubrey and him could eventually write letters to one another and be special friends. We introduced Aubrey to Oscar (we have a picture of him in Aubrey's room on a prayer card) and said we are going to pray for Oscar! I was shocked when the very next day as we were playing in his room, Aubrey stopped in the middle of something as he saw Oscar's picture and said "pray Oscar". I asked him if he wanted to pray for Oscar and he said yes. We pray for him every night and sometimes during the day when Aubrey thinks about Oscar. I am excited how God is going to use this new relationship!

No comments: