Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Hotter than hot!

This summer, as most of you have experienced, has been a HOT one (I think it has been over 100 degrees for about fifty days in a row now-a Record!). We have been miserable here in north west Louisiana! Our little cottage has had a hard time keeping cool too (a combination of poor insulation, thin windows, and thin walls, I guess). Thank the Lord my Dad is an a/c man or our pockets would be empty right now! I have had to call him several times to come save us! We are also thankful for our friends who let us escape to their homes while ours is boiling. 

We have not been outside much at all because it is just so miserable. As soon as you open the door, it hits you and you can't breathe, start sweating and run for cover because it is even more miserable in the direct sun! All I can think about is I am so glad that 1) I am going to heaven where (I'm guessing) the temperature will be perfect (65-75 degrees, maybe) and 2) I am NOT going to hell so I won't ever have to experience this kind of misery (even though I know it will be much worse there)! 

So to help with the temperature in our house, we have been up to some more DIY home improvements.  We had two skylights in our kitchen which we loved because we hardly ever had to use real lights since we had so much natural light. Well the bad thing was, the kitchen or skylights pointed to the west sun in the afternoons and evenings which means it was an OVEN in there! Like so bad I didn't run the dishwasher, dryer, or oven in the afternoons until the sun went down. A definite 10 degree difference from the rest of our house.  
Therefore, we decided to close them in when we got a new roof a few months ago. This is what we have been looking at since. Now that is is summer, you could literally feel the heat pouring in from these holes. A few weekends ago we finally got to close them in completely.
And now we have this! Yay! A cool breeze and it actually has kept our house at or below 80 degrees! PTL! 

Stay tuned for another project we completed recently! 

Hope you are staying cool this summer! I've never been so ready for fall and winter!! I'm ready to move to Colorado or anywhere way north.....like seriously considering it (if only I could convince my husband...)

1 comment:

The Albritton's said...

i love that house! i wanna come see it and YOU!