Seth and I are unsure of when we actually met the first time. We both started LaTech the same year (2002) and participated in the Freshman events hosted by the BCM. The first interaction we both distinctly remember was during our Fall break. We both went to visit our high school friends that were attending LSU. On that particular night, we went to the BCM at LSU to attend their worship service. We spotted each other from across the courtyard. I was thinking to myself, "there's that cute guy with pretty long hair from Tech. I want to impress my friends and say hi to him (lol)". So next thing I know, we are walking right into each other and he says hey and opens his arms up to give me a hug.
The Winter quarter started back in December and Seth and I had a Math class together. I was a good student and sat in the front while Seth and his friends sat in the back (ha). Most days after class, a couple of us would walk to the cafeteria and eat lunch together. This is where our friendship began. We hung out together more and more as we went to some of the same BCM events, Common Ground, and had several mutual friends. It was always a fun time when he was around!
Let me just interject here to say that during this time Seth had long blonde hair that made any girl jealous! This put Seth under my "undateable" category. Not because I didn't like him or his hair but because who takes a guy home to their parents that has long hair! Certainly not me! :) Looking back, this was just God allowing our friendship to establish and grow as well as allowing us to build relationships with our other friends at Tech.
So, we all left for the summer. We had a BLAST our freshman year and eagerly awaited school to begin in the fall to create more amazing memories. We talked a few times during the summer while Seth was working as a raft guide. Once we were back at school for the fall, we didn't hang out a whole bunch. Our group of friends had changed somewhat and all the freshman girls were eyeing Seth. I was still not very interested in him. I didn't think he would even want to date me anyway especially with all the new girls around. By this time, his hair was REALLY long too. I still had some stuff going on in my head from a past relationship. I was confused. One day, Seth walked up to the BCM and his hair was cut short! Wow, he still looked cute with short hair! (ha) So in my mind, he began to change from a goofy guy with long hair to a some-what mature man.
![]() |
| The day Seth cut his hair! |
One night in October, several of our friends were hanging out in Toliver Hall for a "study session" (not quite). Seth and I ended up looking at something on a computer and when we looked up, everyone else had left. By this time it was late. Seth proceeds to ask me to go sit on some couches in the back of Tolliver. When we sit down, I notice Seth pulls out a piece of paper from his pocket. He says, "Can I pray with you?" This made me feel uncomfortable REAL quick. I had never prayed with a guy before and had no idea what was about to go down. He prayed for God to allow him to communicate how he was feeling.....and this is when I turned red! Seth pulled out a list of things he liked about me and what he wanted to talk to me about that night...pursuing a relationship with the intentions of the end result being MARRIAGE! Who says that to a girl?! (I think I would have married him on the spot! :) ) I left that night on cloud 9! I could not believe that a guy would want to pray about pursuing a relationship, have his friends and parents praying for us and be thinking marriage this early in our friendship/relationship. That night we left not as boyfriend and girlfriend but as friends wanting to intentionally get to know each other better in every way (minus the physical part). I felt so unworthy of such a relationship and man.
| Where it all began. |
| First date |
| New Year's Eve in Times Square...guess what year |
| Our first Valentine's Day together |
| One of our favorite events every fall...the Hoe Down...one GIANT square dance! Yee haw! |
We continued to make many wonderful and unforgettable memories our Junior year at Tech. At the beginning of the summer, Seth and I made a visit to Lake Charles. We enjoyed a fun day, June 4, 2005, on the lake with some friends. That night, Seth wanted to take me out so we went on a date...to McCalister's. Afterwards, he wanted to take me to the country club dock (it was one of our "places" to hang out and look at the stars and dance) to see the sunset. We just missed the sunset but we hung out for a minute when he told me he needed to go into the country club to use the bathroom. When we walked in, he said, "Come here and look at the ballroom with me. Let's see what's going on in there." Well a security guard was walking right towards us so I was like, "No, we can't go in there! (we'd be breaking a rule or something or busting in on someone else's party)" So after pretty much dragging me in there, we walked in to see a table sitting out in the middle of the room. He was asking me to go see what it was all about. As we approached the table, I noticed a big book with shiny pages...a Bible. On the Bible was Mr. and Mrs. Seth Thomas!!!! Oh, I knew what this meant but in my head it didn't make any sense because I KNEW he didn't have a ring (I thought I knew how much money was in his bank account, ha!). Well I look back at him and he is on his knee with a ring out asking me to marry him! My head was spinning! I said, "Is this for real?!" He said, "Yes", and so did I.
| "Is this for real?" |
Happy Valentine's Day, Seth! I love you so much!
PS. There are gaps in pictures because when we started dating not many people were using digital cameras at that point. We have scrapbooks with many more pictures to document our love story! Thankful to have those to look back and remember all the fun times we've shared together.



5 comments:
pine cove!!! what was his camp name? i just ask because i worked there a year or two later and it changed me forever!!
I loved reading that! So sweet! Thanks for sharing, and happy valentine's day!
This is so sweet!! Such fun times!!! I cannot help but laugh at you talking about his hair! My first memory of Seth: It was the first night that I met anyone at the BCM...Survival! Somehow I wound up riding in his car afterward with a couple other people, and I remember thinking: "Who is this kid? Sweatband, long hair, we're listening to reggae music??" hahaha Oh my goodness, so fun.
I also remember when y'all asked friends to hold you accountable in your relationship and to pray for you as you went forward. I had so much respect for you both! God truly has His hand in your relationship and is using you in amazing ways! (Loved reading about his trip to Sudan! So awesome!) Thankful for you. Makes me miss you both more!
Your wonderful father-in-law shared your story with me and I really enjoyed it. The Thomas children and their extended family are amazing and I love listening and reading all of your stories.
Thank you for sharing them.
Awwwww I LOVED reading this!! Such a wonderful Love story that the Lord definitely orchested!
I still remember getting the call when he proposed! So blessed to have had yall as models of a godly relationship!
Post a Comment