Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I want the abundant life

I've been studying Ruth this summer with some ladies at my church through Precept Ministries. This is the first study I have done from this ministry and let me tell ya, it is AWESOME! I have never studied the Bible like I have in this one. It is called an inductive study (I don't even know what that means but you can look it up on their website). Just really good stuff! You should definitely consider attending a class if they have one in your area

I tell ya the Lord has really been giving me a love for His Word like never before. I think this skit is a pretty good representation of what I have been feeling about my time in the Word. (ha ha) If you read this long enough, you will understand why and you may end up feeling the same! :)

So, I have been challenged lately about how I live my life- how I spend my money, how I raise my child, how I spend my time, etc. What is this life all about? The American dream? My happiness? My child's happiness? Where does Jesus fit into this?

At church, we are going through John right now. A few weeks ago, we looked at John 7:40-52 and the response people had to what Jesus was saying/teaching. Some believed him and were amazed by him saying, "That is the Messiah". Others were threatened and wanted to shut him up (chief priests and Pharisees) by locking him up. Their beliefs about Jesus shook them up and divided the people. 

Jesus claimed RADICAL things...like things NO ONE...no religion, no idol, no sect, no person... had ever said or claimed:
 I am not from this world (John 18:36)
 I am the door to heaven (John 10:7,9)
I am the Good Shepherd (John 10:11)
I am the resurrection and life (John 11:25) 
..apart from me you can do nothing (John 15:5)
..no one comes to the Father except through me (John 14:6)
& more!
Say what?! Really, if you think about it, it's crazy. 

So, are you (am I) crazy enough to believe this? This is where God has been working on me. I AM a follower of Christ. I DO believe in His claims. What should I do with this knowledge? How do I respond? 
Do I just live my life like the majority of most Americans (after all, we are a Christian country, right)?? Do I spend my time and money on what the rest of the world does? Do I keep up with the Jones'? Do I raise my child(ren) the way the world says is best? Do I follow the norm? 

In my study of Ruth, I recently looked at what I was worshiping before I was IN CHRIST. 
1) I served the devil. John 8:44 says "you belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for their is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies." (I added the emphasis..that devil...just a big fat LIAR! haha)
2) I was dead in my transgressions and sin. Ephesians 2:1
3) I followed this world and "the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient." Ephesians 2:2
4) I was to receive God's wrath. Ephesians 2:3
5) I lived in the domain of darkness. Colossians 1:13

ALL that to say, I want to flee from the world and it's ways! What a slap in the face to my redeemer, Jesus, when I try to look like the world who is ruled by the devil. He has SO much more for me. The abundant life! That means I will not look like most of the people in this world who live according to their flesh and sin. I am light in this darkness (Matthew 5:14-16). My purpose is not to keep "upgrading" my house, my car, my toys, my income, etc. It's not about my comfort and happiness. Not about using my money or time on what the world tells me to. It is about serving and obeying Him. Living by his Word. It/He tells me how to live. (I know I can't do this perfectly and I will screw up but it is my desire to strive for this kind of lifestyle).

There is freedom in that but also a HUGE challenge for me..and my family. I came across this video recently and thought it hit the nail on the head of what God has been telling me. It is regarding adoption but I feel the message applies to our lives as Christians on this Earth. 


If you made it this far, thanks! lol I am NOT a writer. Writing is NOT one of the reasons I started this blog. I'm just sharing the overflow of what God has put on my heart and is teaching me. 

Maybe you understand a little better why my reaction is similar to Kristen Wiig's in the skit. I had to share this on here to keep from jumping out of a window!! (j/k)

"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill can not be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:14-16

2 comments:

askinner said...

Hey Kristen! Glad to see what the Lord is teaching you through His word. Josh and I have also been challenged about living for the "American dream" and are striving to live radically. I'm encouraged that the Lord is working on others in the same way.
And about Anna and Aubrey...sounds like a plan to me! They can start as friends and then who knows what will come :). Have a good week!

lindsey said...

This is so great, Kristen!! I finally just watched the video tonight...very challenging and convicting. I have bought into the desires of this world way too much and am sick of it! I feel like I have been in a lull lately, so your passion is very refreshing and encouraging! Thanks girl! Love you!