Thursday, January 14, 2010

Baby Seth Update

I had an appointment with my OB last week. I know I told you about that already but I left out a little information. My doctor wanted to do another ultrasound so she could get another look at Little Seth's femurs. She was thinking they looked small for his stage of growth.

Well, the ultrasound revealed that his femurs were still measuring small compared to the rest of his growth. Nothing else looked abnormal so they were not extremely worried. Since Seth's family has a history of health problems in male babies, my doctor felt it was necessary to send me to a specialist to get his opinion.

I have not been overly worried or upset. God has given me a peace that He is in control no matter what and all things work for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. Whatever the outcome, God will provide all we need.

So, today I went to see the Maternal Fetal Medicine doc. After a long ultrasound, he reviewed everything with us. Everything looked good, even his femurs. He said they were on the short side of normal. This could mean Little Seth might be 5'8" instead of 6', but only the Lord really knows at this point.

The other thing he saw was his little heart. The doctor found a ventricular septal defect. This is what separates the left and right ventricles in the heart. His has not fully grown so there is a small hole.



The doctor said that this is a common heart defect and that 50% of the time it is complete by the time the baby is born. It may even grow closed after birth. If not, they will surgically close it. The doctor believes strongly that it will close before he is born because it is so small.

That little boy still has a lot of time to grow so I have no doubt that he will come out a healthy little guy.

3 comments:

The Albritton's said...

WOW! What a day you had! Praying for you guys knowing that God is in control of little Seth's everything! Love you friend!

Carey said...

Definitely will be praying for yall! Wanted to let you know that Emerson had this same exact thing. When she was born the hole was still there and she had a murmur the first month, but it did eventually close on its on and it required no medical attention. So as your doc has already said, it is very common and I hope that brings more peace of mind! Believing with you for a healthy baby boy!

lindsey said...

Wow, Kristen, thank you so much for sharing. I, too, have a peace that this little boy is going to be just fine and so incredibly healthy!

I actually saw your post a little earlier but decided to wait for Carey to tell you about Emerson since that's not my story to tell. She's right...you have nothing to be concerned about...especially since he's in his Creator's hands!

I will be praying for you guys and will be believing as well for a strong, healthy little Seth! Praying also for continued peace for you guys :).

I'm here if you ever need anything at all. Love you!