Sunday, November 10, 2013

Wedding Fun in Raleigh-Durham!

Seth and I took a weekend trip to attend the wedding of one our college friends. We have been planning the trip for several months (before we knew I was pregnant) and anticipating a trip to a) see college friends b) visit a place we both had never been before c) visit someplace north out of the heat!

A couple weeks before we left, I experienced some complications in my pregnancy and was put on activity restrictions. We were not sure if we were even going to be able to make the trip until a few days before we left. The doctor gave me the ok and Seth set up a wheel chair service for my plane ticket so we were good to go! 

We stayed in Durham which is where the wedding was held. We stayed in the downtown area and it was super convenient to some great restaurants. 

The first morning we ate breakfast at this cute bakery and coffee shop, Scratch.

 It was delish! We arrived just as the breakfast menu was ending so we got a cinnamon muffin thingy and a mexican quiche...both were amazing! Seth got a latte. Notice the size of the bowl....yes, bowl. There was no handle and it was LARGE! 

 After our scrumptious breakfast, we went to check out the Duke campus. Little side note: We rented a car for the first time on this trip (yay, for being grown ups! ha). We enjoyed driving around Raleigh-Durham since it was so pretty! Unfortunately, fall had not made it's appearance at that time in the season but we still enjoyed the scenery. So, we drove our way around campus and made our way to the student center and church. 







Next, we went by Cameron Indoor Stadium. It just so happened that there was a volleyball game that morning so we walked right in-fo free! 

 The gym reminded me a lot of Memorial Gym for those LaTech people. It was small and cozy.


 For lunch, we went to a Durham favorite. Dame's Chicken and Waffles. I did not know that fried chicken and waffles were a thing. Now I know! It was very interesting. I like breakfast food so the waffles appealed to me but the fried chicken, I can leave it. One of the unique things about Dame's is their shmears-flavored butter. 

 I had a blueberry waffle with a peach and apricot shmear along with the wings. Pretty good.

Seth had a regular waffle with candied pecans and strawberry shmear and two legs. It was quite tasty!!

That evening we attended the wedding rehearsal dinner. It was at a tobacco warehouse restaurant that overlooked the minor league baseball stadium! Unfortunately, there was not a game that night but it was still a great view to look at during dinner on the patio. 

We were super pumped to see our friend, Brian, who was getting married. He is a special friend of ours that we have tried to keep in touch with. He is a very unique person with lots of neat life experiences. After finishing his accounting degree and MBA at LaTech, he went to Duke Law. After law school, he went to Afghanistan for two years. He came home and worked in Dallas as an attorney and then got engaged to a friend he met while serving in the Middle East! After the wedding, they moved to Dubai! Seth is adamant that we will visit them! We'll see....

A fun surprise on this trip was to see this guy....
another great friend from college that we have not heard from in several years! This guy was a college roommate of Seth's. Fun times!
The next day, after sleeping in of course, we ate breakfast at the cutest little place-Parker and Otis. Think Cracker Barrel meets cool coffee shop/bakery. 
 We enjoyed a chilly breakfast on the patio outside and then spent about an hour walking through the store buying gifts! 


We definitely hit up more shopping at an outlet mall and one of the big malls in Raleigh. Success! 

That evening we celebrated the nuptials of Brian and Kathryn. It was one of the best ceremonies I have been to. I think everyone shed a tear or two.   

Mr. and Mrs. Brian Andrews 
Congrats!!
The reception was LOTS of fun with dancing and good food and fun friends (I just wish I could have enjoyed the dance floor)!

We love destination weddings FYI! 

We were so thankful to have this time away. It was much needed. And my new favorite place is Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina. I could seriously live there! As my new t-shirt says, "Loves you Durham". 

No comments: