Today begins forty days of Lent. Since I grew up Methodist, every year the church would acknowledge the Lent season. Some years, I give up things...sometimes my heart is not prepared and/or I forget. Twice, I gave up kissing (ha) back in my dating years. That was always fun to tell the boyfriend. ;) But it is always a good season to reflect on what hinders my relationship with Jesus. There are SO many things that distract me from keeping my focus on Him....tv, internet, iphone to name the main ones. And now that I have two little ones, I need to prioritize my time to make the most of it because there just never seems to be enough of it!
So, this year I have been thinking about giving something up that would help me grow as a wife, mom, and Christian. Lately, I have seen several people post a video and comments on Facebook about a man, Dr. Benjamin Carson. In watching this video, I think God confirmed what I should be doing less of in order to allow more time for doing things (like my BSF Bible study, community group questions and reading books that will challenge me) that will help me be a better wife, mom, and Christian.
So, what are you giving up for Lent? Will you pray for Seth, Aubrey, and me as we limit our tv time to 1 hour a day?! I would love to pray for you too!
1 comment:
I'm giving up using my employee discount at J. Crew owned stores, and I'm turning off my phone for at least 2 hours a day. It's true that none of this means anything if it doesn't draw us closer to God. I hope I can find him in these disciplines, and God bless you as your family does the same!
Post a Comment